Although Samsung is famouse for phones, it also has appliances. Their products are reasonably priced, well featured and well style.
Frigidaire has a new range as well. Their Pro line is about a more commercial look at a better price. They are both decent, just in different ways.
First you need to understand the new front control (not slide-in) range before our comparision.
Front Control Ranges
Basically, there are two types of front control ranges. A traditional slide-in which is installed overlapping the countertop, with no seams and most importantly is very easy to clean. You cannot drip sauce or liquids between the range and the cabinet.
Second is the new Front Control slide-in. This has finished sides and no overlap. The front control does show the seams between the countertop and is a little more difficult to clean due to the seam.
The key factor for front control is installation as it will install just like a traditional freestanding range, unlike the traditional slide-in which typically needs additional customization for installation.
Front control/slide-ins are the least expensive way to improve the look of your kitchen, because you can still see the backsplashes throughout.
Now, let’s look at both companies.
Samsung is a South Korean based company that began 75 years ago and is known for their use of the latest technologies and for producing innovative products. They have recently had their issues with their phones and top load washers.
However, the rest of the Samsung products are reliable.
Samsung is best known for the manufacturing of electronics and the appliance division is a small part of this large conglomerate. Here is a tip for buying Samsung: They always promote around holidays.
You can usually buy Samsung products cheaper on President’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th and Black Friday.
Samsung Gas Slide-In Range (Traditional) NX58H9950WS – $2,299
- 18,000 BTU -Ring Burner – Offers the flexibility of three different burners / the benefit, great for Wok cooking and quick boiling of water
- Center Oval Burner – Large oval fifth burner / the benefit, ideal for griddle or odd-size cookware
- Reversible Cast-Iron Griddle/Grill – Two great ways to cook / the benefit, great flexible option that allows a custom griddle/grill
- True Convection – Single convection fan circulates hot air throughout the oven / the benefit, faster and more even multi-rack baking
- Stainless Steel, Deep-Recessed Cooktop – Contains spills for quick and easy cleaning
- Self-Clean Heavy-Duty Roller Rack – Easily access items with a rack that glides smoothly
- Capacity: 5.8 cu.ft oven
- Temperature Probe- Monitor cooking progress without opening the oven door and releasing heat
- Auto Shut-off/Child Safety Lock/Sabbath Mode/Delay Start features
- Warming Drawer – Keeps food at the perfect temperature until dinner is ready. Store just-cooked meals until they are ready to serve at optimal temperatures. It also elevates oven capacity, making it easy to slide a large roast inside.
- Grate Indicator Marks- Indicator marks located on the grates allow cookware to be ideally placed for the best cooking performance.
- Surface type: Deep recessed Overhanging Cooktop
- Burners: 5 Sealed. Right Front 18,000 BTU / Right Rear 5,000 BTU / Left Front 15,000 BTU / Left Rear 9,500 BTU / Center 9,500 BTU Oval
Frigidaire is part of Electrolux of Sweden, yet is made in the U.S. They were originally founded in the early 1900’s.
Frigidaire is also one of our least serviced brands and were the first to manufacturer stainless steel appliances.
Their Pro line is a brand new commercial style and the stainless steel is smudge proof.
Frigidaire Professional Gas Slide-In (Front Control) FPGH3077RF – $1,799
- PowerPlus® Convection – Single convection fan circulates hot air throughout the oven / the benefit, faster and more even multi-rack baking.
- Convection Conversion- Automatically converts the convection oven to the ideal cooking time.
- Smudge-Proof Stainless Steel – Resists fingerprints and smudges / the benefit, it’s easy to clean.
- 2 in 1 Burner & Griddle- Use the simmer burner for delicate foods and sauces or the griddle burner for pancakes and flatbreads
- PowerPlus® Pre-Heat- your oven is ready to go in a just a few minutes
- “My Favorite” Setting – Easily program your most used setting with the touch of a button / the benefit, ease of use.
- Quick 2 hour Self Clean Mode
- PowerPlus® temperature probe- Set and monitor dish temperature
- PowerGlide Rack – Flexible rack system that adjusts. Easy glide racks in/out
- Continuous Grates – Continuous Grates make it easy to move heavy pots and pans across burners without lifting.
- Heavy-Duty Grates and Professional-Style Knobs – The grates are sturdy and the professional style knobs will help you cook like a pro.
- Sabbath Mode
- ADA Compliant – This product is ADA Compliant.
- Capacity:5.1 cu.ft oven
- Surface type: Deep Sump Stainless Steel
- Burners: 4 Sealed. Right Front 18,000 BTU / Right Rear 5,000 BTU / Left Front 9,500 BTU / Left Rear 12,000 BTU / Center Griddle 500-15,500 BTU / Center Simmer 500-3,500 BTU
Samsung vs. Frigidaire Front Control Gas Ranges Comparison
Both of these brands are very comparable. They both have convection and have very strong burners with both of them topping out at 18,000 BTUs both offer a great feature in the temperature probe.
The styles are different with Frigidaire being more professional style whereas Samsung is more high tech looking.
The Samsung will offer an additional cubic foot capacity in their oven and the warming drawer. Samsung has very intuitive controls; they offer simple step by step instructions.
However, Frigidaire has a very quick pre-heat option along with more flexibility on the cooktop with the 2 in 1 Burner and Griddle.
As stated earlier, Frigidaire has smudge –proof stainless steel, so kids cannot leave their fingerprints on the range.
Overall, they are comparable on price; Samsung is more than the Frigidaire Professional.
Part of what you should consider depends on the time of year. Samsung is very aggressive around holidays like Black Friday where some of their models could drop 30-40%.
In terms of packages and coordinating the kitchen, Frigidaire has more options in their line. However, their Pro brand is similar to Samsung with just a few matching pieces.
Lastly, reliability is a factor. Samsung is actually good, but Frigidaire has a better track record over a longer period of time and better support when problems do occur.